Monday, October 19, 2009

Troy Workshop

The Jack Troy workshop and opening was quite a treat for all. The workshop turnout was light, I thought. But some of our students were able to attend. Their response was enthusiastic and energized. Jack did a great job with his demo and stories. It is always a pleasure to watch a master at work. Jack's interest in history, literature and writing gives his work and workshop a full and grounded sense of self.

I learned a good deal of what I know from attending such workshops when I was younger. I remember writing, some years back, notes to myself after watching and listening to each new artist. It became evident that all of these masters in the field were saying the same basic things about working and learning. The vocabulary, expressions, and stories from each reflected the range of personalities. But common threads certainly were evident. Listen and you will hear exactly what I mean. I still leave workshops with my head full agreements and (with years under my belt) contrary notions. It is always worth the time.

A side note- the degrees of separation can be very few. During the gallery opening I noticed Jack greeting another fellow as though they had not seen each other for some time. At first, I thought this fellow was a collector I know from the Syracuse area. But his air was professorial, something those of us of a certain age and from the academic world might recognize- the greying beard, the tweed walking hat and the confident entry to the gallery. He looked very familiar, but I could not place him. Then, as we were leaving the gallery I overheard him introducing himself to a young lady. Sure enough it was my former painting professor Steven Barbash. As it turns out, Steve, at one time, was the department chair at Juniatta College and was responsible for hiring Jack to teach clay there.

Great to see you again, Steve.

We are looking forward to Jack visiting our collection this Wednesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment